FAQ: Merging Multiple HubSpot Portals
FAQ: Merging Multiple HubSpot Portals
A surprising number of companies find themselves owning multiple HubSpot accounts. Until HubSpot introduced the Enterprise tier with business units, multiple portals was the status quo. Today, this cumbersome setup can be replaced with a single Hubspot portal.
If you are considering moving HubSpot data and digital assets from one existing HubSpot account to another, this FAQ document is for you.
1. What are some of the situations in which migrating data from one HubSpot portal to another makes sense?
a. A newly acquired business that has their own HubSpot account. As the new business is integrated, it may make sense to consolidate their HubSpot portal with your company's existing portal.
b. Your company is selling off a business unit. This is the reverse of the previous situation. The acquiring company will probably want all of the CRM data for the division they are buying.
c. Your company started using HubSpot before the Enterprise Suite became available. The Business Units add-on makes integrating multiple HubSpot portals an attractive option.
d. Your company is domiciled in the EU but has a HubSpot portal that is hosted in a HubSpot US data center. It is possible to migrate an existing HubSpot portal to a new portal that is hosted in HubSpot's EU data center.
2. Are there automated solutions for migrating CRM data from one HubSpot account to another?
Yes, there are tools that can automatically migrate your HubSpot CRM data and certain types of digital assets from an existing "source" HubSpot portal to a new "destination" portal. Two of the most popular are:
HubSpot to HubSpot Migrator: This app from Datawarehouse.io (a Bayard Bradford company) is the most comprehensive Hubspot to HubSpot data migration app available, supporting 44 data tables from the HubSpot database. More information on what can be migrated can be found here.
3. Are the migration apps listed above certified by HubSpot?
The HubSpot to HubSpot Migrator is a HubSpot Certified App. Certification involves the HubSpot Product team reviewing and confirming that an app meets requirements for security, privacy, reliability, performance, usability, accessibility, and value. Approved apps show a “HubSpot Certified App” badge on their listing page.
The remaining Q&A pertains specifically to the HubSpot to HubSpot Migrator app.
4. What data is automatically migrated by the app?
HubSpot CRM Data that is automatically migrated includes:
- Engagements (Meetings, Tasks, Notes, Calls, Emails)
- Custom Properties for all Objects
- Associations between all records
- Line Items/Products
5. How do you ensure data security during the migration process?
The HubSpot to HubSpot Migrator app uses (SSL/TLS) encryption at all times while data is “in transit” to and from HubSpot. Datawarehouse.io does not store any data aside from the secure tokens required to migrate your HubSpot data. Those tokens are destroyed after the migration is completed. The application is GDPR compliant and is hosted and processed in the EU.
6. Does the Hubspot to Hubspot Migrator offer a way to filter/specify which data is migrated, or exclude certain data, if you don't want everything moving over to the new portal?
The HubSpot to HubSpot Migrator does not allow filtering or customization. This app is a fully-automated, low-cost, self-service migration solution. You can use one of the custom migration providers if you want to selectively migrate data, but the cost is likely to be much higher.
7. How does the HubSpot to HubSpot Migrator prevent duplicates from being created during the migration process?
The app writes unique ID numbers for everything migrated as custom properties in the destination HubSpot portal. In addition to preventing duplicates, this procedure assures that, if needed, the migration can be run again with no risk to data integrity. This means that you can also use this application to sync production data into a sandbox environment.
8. Can I run a test migration on a small sample of data first, to be sure everything is migrating as expected before migrating all of the data?
Regarding a test migration, we suggest setting up a free developer portal and running the migrator. However, this can't be done for just for a small sample of data.
9. Does the app migrate sent emails with their historic data?
One to one emails are migrated, but not Marketing emails. Due to API limits imposed by HubSpot, the tool cannot migrate sent Marketing emails.
10. Can the app automatically migrate digital assets such as CTAs, Forms, Workflows, Landing Pages and Email Templates?
The following digital assets cannot be migrated automatically due to Hubspot API limitations:
- Marketing email campaign data
- Historical web traffic data
- Properties with the same name but a different type in each portal
- Active lists that reference Forms
- Calculated properties
- Deactivated users that still own records
- Landing Pages
- Email Templates
- Ready to be sent emails in Draft Mode
- Knowledge base articles & design settings
- Meeting links
- Custom surveys
- Brand kits
11. What else should we remember to do when using the HubSpot Portal to portal Migrator app?
Make sure to reconnect the following to the target portal:
- Emails or Facebook messenger connected to the Conversations Inbox
- Social media accounts
- Replace old portal's tracking code & add custom analytics views (if needed)
- Third party integrated apps
- Custom API integrations
5 Reasons You Need an Expert HubSpot CRM Administrator
Do you feel like your HubSpot isn’t working to its highest potential?
HubSpot has an easy-to-use...
How HubSpot’s Inbound Sales Methodology Powers Up Sales Productivity
Not long ago, sales was synonymous with pushy door-to-door salesmen, conjuring up thoughts of...